Monday, May 5, 2008

First Race

After having a baby I have been trying to get back into some sort of exercise routine. Although I haven't been too successful being consistent, I have managed to get out on a few runs and walks. Back in March my running partner suggested trying a Street Scramble since we could walk and cover a lot of miles.

I agreed, and on a partly-cloudy March day we bundled Evelyn up in the stroller. I packed her bag full of food and toys and we headed out on the Capitol Hill Street Scramble.

A Street Scramble is kind of like a timed scavenger hunt. Participants are given a sheet of paper with different locations to find; each location is worth a certain number of points. There are multiple choice questions to answer about each location to prove that you'd been there - like "what is the name printed on the flagpole plaque?" You have 90 minutes to hit as many locations as you can.

I'm not sure how many miles we covered, but we trekked up and down the hilly streets of Capitol Hill, saw some of the stately old mansions. Our route even took us past the hospital where Evelyn was born. For the most part Evelyn did great. She got a little cranky about half-way through, but eventually calmed down. She even fell asleep for a little while.

At the end of the race we turned in our sheet and waited for the results to be calculated. We came in 2nd in the "stroller" division. Not bad for the first race!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

It's so good to have a few updates from you! I've been thinking about you a lot and have meant to call . . . I will SOON! The scavenger race sounds like such a fun idea! I can't believe Evelyn is almost a year - WHAT?!!