Friday, November 21, 2008

Our Little Helper

Evelyn is now 18 months old and has suddenly become quite the helper. Not that we are complaining!

It all started while Jeremy and I were in Mexico (early October) and Grammy Cathy and Grandpa Lucky were staying with Evelyn. Before we left, Evelyn would always follow me into the laundry room and watch while I got the dog's food. I guess she learned everything she needed to know because the day after we got back I went to get Tatum's bowl to feed her and Evelyn demanded to carry it into the laundry room. Once in the laundry room where we keep the food, she proceeded to go to the bag and wanted to put the food in the bowl. Then she wanted to carry it out all by herself! She carried it all the way over to where Tatum eats her food and set it down without spilling a bit. I was so amazed. Grandma and Grandpa explained that she just started doing it after we left and didn't want to have any help (other than getting the food out of the bag). Now she feeds the dog almost every day, and most of the time we don't even have to remind her that it's time to do it.

Other things she likes to "help" with:

Dishes - she can't quite reach the faucet when she's standing on her stool, but she really stretches and will try to rinse off some of the dishes we let her have.

Cooking - every time I'm in the kitchen cooking she asks to get her stool so she can "see" what I'm doing. When I make scrambled eggs, I break the eggs into the bowl and let her mix them up.

Laundry - Evelyn will follow me into the laundry room and help put the dirty clothes in the washer (she's almost tall enough to get the clothes in herself), wet clothes into the dryer, take the dry clothes out, etc.

I hope this lasts!

I did manage to get a video of Evelyn feeding the dog. Proof that I'm not just making this up!


No comments: